Chocolate Orange Crème Caramel
with Toffee and Chocolate ‘Dirt’
Adapted from Karen Martini’s ‘Feasting’ cookbook, page 10.
zest of 2 oranges
160 g dark chocolate buttons
600 ml milk
250 g caster sugar
3 tablespoons caster sugar (separate from above)
120 ml water
4 large eggs
2 egg yolks
6 squares dark chocolate, grated
I made this dessert for a lunch party and it went down a treat. I doubled the quantities (the above amounts makes 6) and added a few twists for presentation. The only ingredient I added was six squares of dark Lindt chocolate, which I grated to make chocolate ‘dirt’.
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C, fan-forced
2. Combine orange zest and chocolate buttons in a bowl. Heat milk in a saucepan until simmering. Pour into bowl and stir until chocolate melts. Set aside.
3. Combine the sugar and water in medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil. Leave the mixture until it turns a caramel colour, resisting the temptation to stir. Be patient!
4. Pour caramel evenly between six, ovenproof ramekins, saving a small amount for decorations. Tilt the ramekins so the caramel covers the sides.
5. Place a sheet of baking paper on a flat surface. Using a tablespoon, drizzle the remaining caramel in decorative patterns (overlapping zigzags work well) while it is still liquid.
6. Next, whisk the eggs, egg yolks and three tablespoons of sugar until combined. Add to the milk and chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. Pour mixture through a sieve into a large jug, and then divide evenly amongst the ramekins.
7. Place ramekins in a baking tray and pour hot water into the tray until it is about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for an hour or until just set.
8. Once ready, leave to cool before refrigerating overnight.
9. To serve, run a knife around the edge of each ramekin. Cover with the serving plate and tip upside-down. Tap the crème caramel onto the plate.
10. Sprinkle grated chocolate around the edges of the plate. Carefully peel the toffee decorations off the baking paper and insert into top of crème caramel.
11. Finally, prepare to be flooded by compliments from guests!